XFCE 4.15 - Panels in dark mode still have light (symbolic?) icons
- Build xfce4-panel from master which has the new option of "dark mode"
- Set your main gtk theme to a light theme (eg Arc-Lighter or Adwaita)
- Set your icon theme to match with a light icon theme (eg Papirus-Light)
- Set your panel to use a dark mode
- Notice how icons some icons in the panel are very dim as they are using the light icons (i think?), and notice how if you switch to a dark icon theme (eg Papirus-Dark) they look correct (but then icons within apps look incorrect).
What I expected to happen
I expected for either
- the ability to set a custom icon theme to a dark one
- a dark icon theme to be selected automatically
- if these are all symbolic icons (?) could this be solved automatically
- I am note sure if the only icons which are affected are ones that are symbolic ?
- Note that the panel settings page is also affected by this (eg it's UI is in dark mode but the icons are not visible)
- I have not worked out how to get other panel plugins working when building my own xfce4-panel yet - so unsure how other plugins are affected (and hence my odd looking panels :-) )
Screenshot with Arc-Lighter and Papirus-Light
See how the network icon in the top panel, the show desktop and rubbish bin in the bottom panel, and the icons to edit the panel items are all dim.
Screenshot with Arc-Lighter and Papirus-Dark
See how the panel icons are now visible, but the close icon appearance and icons for places in thunar are now dim.